Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Friends Forever Club Dolls series 1 Fashion Packs

 

What I've always dreamed of, a doll line with fashion packs that wasn't Barbie.  Are they a cringy disaster? Absolutely.  I knew they were bad too, before I got them.  But I want these dollar store dolls to succeed, so I sunk a little more money into them.  A toy reviewer theorized the dolls were sold at a loss so they could sell fashion packs at a profit.  And if the dolls don't turn a profit, they'll be discontinued.  So I bought bad fashion packs on purpose.

These are all the fashions I could find at my local shops.  There's a purple dress too, but it was sold out at all my nearby locations.  They have the Friends Forever Club brand in the corner and the dolls artwork on the back of every card.

This is a sky blue dress with a red belt and flower print skirt.  It's all sewn together in one piece and velcros together in the back.  It's being worn by Carina.  None of the fashion packs seemed to fit her character or her interest in outer space.  All the edges are raw and there are loose threads everywhere, but that's every piece in these fashion packs.

This outfit is the only two pieces.  It's a peach plaid skirt with ribbon suspenders and a white sweater.  The sweater is so thin that Alanis's painted on shirt shows through underneath.  The suspenders are too long.  The skirt fabric feels like a napkin.  Regardless, it's still possibly the best outfit of the 5.

Here's Alanis in another crappy dress.  It's the same design as the blue dress, with oversized sleeves, a sewn on ribbon belt, and this time a tulle overskirt.  I don't think either of these outfits have anything to do with Alanis or her interest in technology, but yeah.

This is the pink satin dress.  It's a different construction from the first two dresses, because it has no sleeves or shoulders.  It's very poor fitting, and I had to pull it up to cover Viera's chest several times during the photo shoot.

Here's the last dress, a yellow and white lace wrap, worn by Iha.  It's the same construction as the pink satin dress, no sleeves or straps.

So yeah, they're bad.  And I wasted $6.25 on these.  But I don't regret it, because even though they're trash, it was just a little money and it went towards the success of this doll line.  There's a second series of fashion packs that's better, and includes better clothes, shoes, and accessories, but it's not in stores near me yet, so I'll just have to wait and keep my eyes out for them.  In the meantime, I'll draft some patterns and sew better clothes for them myself.  I might put the patterns up here for people to use, I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment