Saturday, March 16, 2024

2024 Doll Collection Goals Checkup

It's been two and a half months of 2024 so far, and things have happened.  Some things have changed, become less available, etc.  So I'm going to go over my goals and talk about how they've been affected so far.

1. Buying less dolls.  This is turning out easier than expected.  I had fully intended to buy a ton of Disney Princess dolls, and I managed to grab a couple, but most have gone out of stock, with no signs of being restocked.  So, my Disney Princess shenanigans have been cut tragically short.  I wishlisted like 10 of them, but only ended up getting 2 more before they sold out completely.  Now, they can only be purchased from resellers and I don't want the dolls enough to pay reseller prices.  So, no more Disney dolls, I deleted my wishlist of them entirely.

Rainbow World is dancing on Rainbow High's grave with less articulation, slime, and general suckage.  The new Bratz dolls are decently articulated, but not pretty, so I will not partake.  I also won't be buying any more Monster High.  No Creeproductions, no more g3.  I'm good, thanks.  A new doll line called Decora Girlz was promoted, and I got super excited by their bright colors, then realized I don't actually like them.  So yeah, doesn't look like I'll get any more new dolls for the foreseeable future.  Barbie Dream Besties look cute, but they're not scheduled to be out until the summer, so I have plenty of time to stew on those.

2. Arts and Crafts.  I'm doing reasonably well with art.  I'm producing more doll fanart in larger quantities, for sure.  I'm also putting out some shippy fanfiction on AO3.  I've come to realize my drawings of characters turn out more proportionate if I draw them all on the same page, so I'm cramming 4 characters on a page together.  This also reduces the amount of blank page suffering I do.  I've even done some photo shoots I'd been meaning to do for ages.

On the crafts front, I'm not doing so good.  Aside from Sunny and Violet's pajamas in January, I haven't done a damn thing.  With all the artwork I've been cranking out, I haven't had the energy to do crafts.  I'm also trying to participate in video games too, and there's only so many hours in a day.  I think once I get a large chunk of fanart and fanfiction completed, I'll feel more free to do crafting.  Or I might just switch gears entirely, I be how I be.

3. Dolly House Con 2024.  Still a work in progress, though I admit I forgot about it for a while.  I did buy myself a Rainbow High shirt to wear during the con, and I've designed badges and a logo, but since I haven't been crafting, I haven't crafted the dolls convention shirts yet.  I think I'll make them for Sunny and Violet, because they're my OTP, and I'm on the fence if I'll make some for my sister too.  She might want to make some herself.  When her schedule gets less busy, I'll talk to her about it more.

4. Socialize Carefully.  Actually, there hasn't been a resurgence of the Barbie/Bratz war as anticipated.  Most people don't seem to care about either one.  In most circles, we're just mourning the loss of Rainbow High together.  A lot of people have taken to buying thrifted dolls instead of new ones; getting fixer uppers and fixing them up.  No Barbie or Bratz fans have been arguing or stirring up drama.  I'm glad.

Overall, I'm doing a decent job adhering to my goals for the year.  I spend plenty of time with the dolls I already have, so I don't feel like I'm suffering without new dolls.  I've participated in a few small virtual doll meetups.  I wish I could balance my time and activities out better, but I can't, so  I'll just binge on art projects until I go on a crafting bender.  I'll do it when I feel like it, it'll all work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment