Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tutorial: Doll on a Budget

I think we've all noticed a big wave of new people entering the dolly community.  One of the biggest things they ask about is how to get into it on a smaller budget.  Don't get me wrong, I'd really love the new dolly people to support the resin artists we know and love, but you can only work with what you got, right?  So here's some helpful tips I've compiled for starting your dolly family.

Doll Body: Mix & Match!

Just love a head but would be okay with a slightly different body?  Great!  Bodies get expensive new, but you can find them used in doll forums and on Ebay.  I bought Amiga's head new and her body used on Ebay.  The vinyls don't match perfectly, but I blushed her up and you can hardly tell!





Doll clothes: Make Yourself!

I don't know about you, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing my dolls wearing clothes I made for them.  You don't have to go nuts (like me) and sew all their stuff yourself, but for simple things like t-shirts and sweaters, its' the way to go!  And you can get awesome materials in the most unexpected places, like Goodwill or Walmart!  I love making sweaters out of socks for my dolls.  Here's my old tutorial on how!  Tutorial: Sock Sweater


Sock Sweater Tutorial

Doll Wigs: Feelin' Furry

There's a world of doll wigs out there and they can get very expensive.  Fear not, because a rising star in the wig world is the faux fur wig.  They look adorable.  They usually cost half of what a more traditional wig does.  You can even try making one yourself!  If you do, cut the fake fur outside, because it goes everywhere.  I learned that with Feebee's first wig.  Most look better than that one. ^_^;;;



Doll Eyes: Custom-eyes!

What?  You can make your own doll eyes too?  Heck yeah, you can! I just discovered this myself, so I haven't tried it yet.  All of those custom eyes you see people making, anyone can!  A regular pair of eyes costs $15 to $20.  But I found this eye making set for $3! I'll be trying them soon.  I hope you will too and tell me what you think!  DIY Doll Eye Chips

What About Shoes?

I won't lie, I've found shoes to be worth buying.  I've tried my hand at making them, and I can make slippers.  There are some great tutorials out there.  Try them, rock 'em.  But if you get frustrated, you might wanna invest in a nice pair of shoes in a white or black, something that goes with everything, you know?  That said, I recommend going to Releaserain!  That's where I got Amiga's sneakers.  They have a huge variety, do business on Ebay and Etsy, and they have their own website too. Releaserain

No comments:

Post a Comment